Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Simply learning grammar and vocabulary isn’t enough. To understand English fully, you must also understand the culture. Media like TV, radio, books, magazines and newspapers influence how people think and also how the talk. However, living in China, it is difficult to find English media other than the limited selection of CCTV 9 and a few newspapers such as 21st Century.
To assist students in learning some culture, I have collected some music and video clips which I shall post on this website regularly. Hopefully you’ll enjoy listening to the music I post and it will help you absorb a little English culture.
- Brief Encounter (1945): Was the highest rated British film in the Channel 4 poll of 100 greatest movies, at No 14.
- The Third Man (1949): Voted best British film ever by members of the British Film Institute in 1999. Currently #3 on the Rotten Tomatoes list of the best mystery/suspense movies.
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962): voted “best British film of all time” in August 2004 by a London Sunday Telegraph poll of Britain’s leading filmmakers. (See also: Epic above).
- Dr. Strangelove (1964): Directed by Stanley Kubrick, was ranked #1 on the Rotten Tomatoes list of the best comedy movies.
- Get Carter (1971): Named best British film in a poll of 25 film critics by Total Film magazine in 2004.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) was voted the best British picture of all time by a 2004 poll by the UK arm of Amazon and Internet Movie Database.